How to Ace the Customer Service Representative Interview at ATandT?
Congratulations on getting an opportunity to interview for the position of Customer Service Representative at ATandT. The bad news is that the interview process can be quite difficult. This blog article will list out a several tips and tricks to help you ace your upcoming interview.
1. Start by Studying the Interview Process at ATandT for the Position of Customer Service Representative
Before going into your interview, it vital to understand the interview process at ATandT. This will help you plan your strategy and you won't be surprised through the interview process.
The ATandT Customer Service Representative interview process is as follows:
The interview process at ATandT starts with a recruiter phone screen.
Right after the phone interview, the candidate will be either invited to an onsite interview or have another phone interview with the hiring manager or a peer.
The onsite interview is typically conducted by peers and managers on your future team. You will have at least 3 interviews that last 45 minutes to an hour each.
The interview includes mostly behavioral and situational type questions, mostly focused on sales and customer service.
The interview process takes about 2-3 weeks to get an offer or a rejection from ATandT, though sometimes it can be sooner.
2. Study the Telecommunications Services industry in detail.
ATandT operates within the Telecommunications Services industry. So, it is vital to understand this industry in detail before going into the interview.
Here are industry details for the Telecommunications Services industry:
Industry Name: Technology Services
The United States has the most advanced software and information technology services industry in the world. More than a quarter of the $3.8 trillion global IT market is in the United States which is approximately $950 billion. The industry accounts for 7.1% of U.S. GDP and 11.6% of U.S. private-sector employment.
There are more than 100,000 software and IT services companies in the United States, and more than 99% are small and medium-sized firms (under 500 employees). This total includes software publishers, suppliers of custom computer programming services, computer systems design firms, and facilities management companies. The industry draws on a highly educated and skilled U.S. workforce of nearly two million people, a number which has continued to grow during the past decade.
Industry Sub sectors: It includes the following
Cloud Computing Services: According to Forrester’s projections regarding global cloud adoption, businesses will spend about $191 billion on cloud services by 2020, compared to $72 billion in 2014. International Data Corporation predicts the market in 2017 will be worth $107 billion, over twice as much as its 2013 estimate of $47.4 billion. The United States is a market leader in the cloud computing market and has some of the largest companies in the sector. According to the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, the United States imported approximately $34 billion worth of computing services in 2015, a 40 percent increase from 2010 import data. Software-as-a-service (SaaS) is expected to be the fastest-growing component of the cloud services market.
Entertainment Software: Combined revenues in entertainment software from computer and video games $15.4 billion in 2014. The sub sector employs more than 146,000 people directly and indirectly.
Electronic Commerce: The McKinsey Global Institute estimates that by 2020, some 940 million online shoppers will spend almost $1 trillion on cross-border e-commerce transactions. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, e-commerce sales in the United States reached $341 billion in 2015, growing approximately 14 percent since 2014.
Projected to grow at a rate of 3.4% till 2020
Major companies include Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC), Cognizant, Dell, IBM, Accenture, Cap Gemini, Wipro, and Tata Consultancy
Demand for IT services is driven by rapid technological advances, but spending depends on the health of the US economy. The profitability of companies depends on technical expertise, innovative services, and effective marketing.
Digital transformation continues to be a driving force, organizations of all sizes are embracing cloud-based technology solutions, expanding their mobile presence, fortifying cyber defenses and driving decision-making through advanced data analysis.
Businesses today are starting to recognize the critical role that technology plays in advancing corporate objectives. Nearly every goal — from identifying new customers to hiring a skilled workforce to exploring new products — now requires technology to move forward at a modern pace. Companies may have originally viewed transformation as an avenue for growth, but it is becoming a requirement for survival.
Security Breach - Massive security incidents are a big challenge almost all the companies which is creating a doubt among companies
Skills Gap Grows in Scope and Nuance, Forcing Organizations to Rethink Workforce Strategies
3. Study ATandT in detail.
Next you must ensure you understand ATandT in detail. You will be asked tons of questions regarding ATandT, so it's best to be prepared. Here are company details for ATandT that you must prepare for:
Target Company Name: AT&T
"We aspire to be the most admired and valuable company in the world. Our goal is to enrich our customers' personal lives and to make their businesses more successful by bringing to market exciting and useful communications services, building
Shareowner value in the process."
“Our mission is to connect people with their world everywhere they live, work and play – and do it better than anyone else."
“AT&T's 139 year history of innovation is a story about people from all walks of life and all kinds of backgrounds coming together to connect people to their world … anywhere, anytime and on any device. It is our diverse, inclusive culture that welcomes all points of view and makes us who we are: a great place to work, a desired business partner and a committed member of the communities we serve. This inclusive culture is something we live every day; our employees expect it, and our customers and shareowners benefit from it.”
To create the best entertainment and communications experiences for our customers, we’re committed to steady and consistent investment in the following areas: Deliver an effortless customer experience; Lead in connectivity and integrated solutions; Serve our customers globally; Equip our people for the future
List of Products/Services:
Wireless (Phones & Tablets, Accessories, Connected devices, BYOD); TV (DIRECTV); Internet; Home phone (Digital phone, Wireless home phone)
List one Favorite product and give 3 reasons why that product is good?
· AT&T has a solid network and support. In terms of network performance, AT&T tends to run in the middle of the pack in independent tests, based on a survey by Fastest Mobile Networks.
· The carrier added unlimited plans to its offerings which helps customers in selecting some of the best plans.
· Broader choice of phones with wireless connection, also AT&T supports more unlocked devices than any other US carrier.
List one disliked product and 3 reasons why it is bad.
· Like other carriers, the unlimited data isn't truly "unlimited," and AT&T starts to slow down speeds after use of data (data in GB).
· There is also a $25 activation fee for new lines and up to a $45 restocking fee if you buy a phone from AT&T and decide to return it within the grace period.
· Also, AT&T switches mobile hotspot to 2G speeds after using the allotted 10GB.
Target Customer Segments that AT&T is targeting.
AT&T primarily targets North America including the US and Canada. It also has presence in Latin America and EMEA. AT&T is also trying to establish its presence in APAC.
Target Customer Demographics for AT&T.
Young Millennials (18-29) - most likely who want to ditch their contracts and pay in full for their phones (or finance them with $0 down payment); Prime Earners (30-64) prefer no contract as long as they are getting an inexpensive plan; Seniors (65+) looking for inexpensive plans.
What do customers like about their Products/Services?
· AT&T has the largest selection of flagship-quality phones of any major cell phone service provider.
· Its speeds don't average as high, but they're still dependable and outpace almost every other contender.
· AT&T offers smartphones for $0 down and no annual service contract with AT&T Next, which offers greater value for money
What do customers dislike about their Products/Services?
· Customer service has lapsed to poor level in the past few years.
· Its family plans are just as pricey as Verizon’s, despite offering slightly lower coverage quality.
· Its coverage always lags one step behind its biggest rival.
Competitors include brands such as Verizon Wireless, Sprint, T-Mobile/Metro PCS, a larger number of regional providers of cellular, PCS and other wireless communications services and resellers of those services.
What do Competitors’ do better than AT&T?
Verizon has the best performing network with the widest reach. It also has strong online tools and friendly reps when it comes to customer service. While T-Mobile the most alluring set of customer perks, including a program for international travelers.
What does AT&T do better than Competitors?
The area it does better than Verizon is price, as AT&T provides plans which are cheaper than other carriers, including its recently lunched unlimited plans. AT&T’s network speed is also consistent and faster than most of the other carriers.
Management Team (CEO, COO etc.)
Randall L. Stephenson - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Thaddeus Arroyo - Chief Executive Officer – Business Solutions & International
John Donovan - Chief Strategy Officer and Group President – AT&T Technology and Operations
David S. Huntley - Senior Executive Vice President & Chief Compliance Officer
Lori Lee - Senior Executive Vice President and Global Marketing Officer
Revenue this and last year: $163,786M (2016) and $146,801M (2015)
Gross Profit this and last year: $86,902M (2016) and $79,755M (2015)
Gross Margins this and last year: 53.06% (2016) and 54.33% (2015)
Net Profit this and last year: $12,976M (2016) and $13,345M (2015)
Net Margins this and last year: 7.92% (2016) and 9.09% (2015)
Growth Rate: 12% (2016) and 11% (2015)
Which products/services contribute to the most growth?
Business Solutions segment (44%); Entertainment Group segment (32%); Consumer Mobility segment (20%); International segment (4%)
Any other metrics e.g. Active Users: NA
Company’s Future Growth Plans (Where are they investing?)
· Over the past 5 years, the company has invested more than $140 billion, including capital investments in their wireless and wireline networks and acquisitions of wireless spectrum and operations, to build out one of the most advanced wireless, fiber and IP networks in the world.
· Invest in developing new technologies to ensure they have the integrated products and services that will set them apart and give them the lowest cost structure with the greatest efficiency and productivity in the industry
· Invest in new acquisitions to expand presence geographically and product portfolio
· Invest in America by investing in workforce.
· Continue to invest significant capital in expanding network capacity, as well as to secure and utilize spectrum that meets our long-term needs.
· Continue to invest in wireless network as they look to provide future service offerings and participate in technologies such as 5G and millimeter-wave bands.
On October 22, 2016, AT&T entered into and announced a merger agreement to acquire Time Warner Inc. in a 50% cash and 50% stock transaction.
May 04, 2017, AT&T to Move its Databases and App Workloads to the Oracle Cloud
April 26, 2017, AT&T Launches 5G Evolution, But It Turns Out to Be A Fake 5G Network
April 10, 2017, AT&T pays $1.6 billion for Straight Path Communications to bolster 5G spectrum holdings
Feb 27, 2017, AT&T Announces New Unlimited Plus and Unlimited Choice Plans
Oct 22, 2016, AT&T to Acquire Time Warner
4. Study the Job Description for the Position of Customer Service Representative at ATandT.
The job description is a vital piece of the interview process at ATandT. The job description can be used as the language of the company. Here is what we recommend.
1. Print out the job description.
2. Highlight the key responsibilities within the job description.
3. Think about times in your career or personal life where you've shown or performed those responsibilities.
It is almost guaranteed that you will get questions related to these responsibilities, so why not prepare for them in advance.
You can practice with the job description below:
Note: This is a sample AT and T Customer Service Representative position. Please get the appropriate JD for the position you’re interviewing for and conduct this exercise.
No need to wait for the event – hiring is ongoing! We encourage you to start and complete your application and assessments as soon as possible so we can move forward with you and the hiring process.
- Start with the Paycheck: Customer Service Representatives earn between $22,880.00 to $33,150.00 per year to start! You have the opportunity to receive an increase every 6 months until you reach top pay of $37,518.00!
- Employees will receive a retention bonus every 6 months up to 24 months (Certain restrictions apply).
- Add a full benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid time off, and work/life resources
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Plus a 50% off your AT&T wireless service and discounts on other AT&T products and services
- Career possibilities are limitless with AT&T. You will have the chance to round out your experience with training on the latest technology, devices, and our entire lineup of products, services and promotions.
- If you’re 18 years or older, let’s talk.
Answers inbound call from customers with billing issues, technical issues or general questions regarding service. Assists customers questions and concerns on all products and services offered by the Company through research and resolution using various tools and systems. Handles telephone and face-to-face customer contacts. Coordinates with all sales channels for retention efforts on existing customer base. May sell all products and services offered by the Company. May help collect past due balances or take payments from customers who have been disconnected. Processes credit applications and activates service. Maintains appropriate records, prepares required reports, and updates customer accounts. Performs other duties as assigned by management.
The essential functions listed below are representative of duties performed by this job title. Duties generally include but are not limited to the following:
- Answers customer/client requests or inquiries concerning services and products and reports problem areas.
- Utilizes various systems and tools to initiate to assist and service customers.
- Continually maintain working knowledge of all company products, services and promotions.
- Make recommendations according to customer’s needs.
- Utilize operational systems to process purchases of all products and services.
- Administer system functions on all opening, closing, and balancing procedures to according to finance guidelines.
- May perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned and/or required.
- Solid problem-solving skills for the purpose of determining and solving customer billing issues
- Strong verbal skills and phone skills for the purpose of gathering data for problem-solving and for communicating results to customers.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS WHICH MAY BE REQUIRED FOR A PARTICULAR JOB:
- Perform over the counter exchanges of customer defective equipment.
- Ensure work area is maintained in a clean and professional environment; i.e. brochure stocks, promotions display and work station.
- Employee may be required to sit for long periods of time on the phone while using computers.
- 6 months to 1 year of customer service/sales experience preferred
Applicants will be expected to pass any assessments or tests associated with the position.
- Specific job assignments may require day, evening, weekend or holiday hours. Occasional overtime may be required.
- Classroom training.
- On-the-job training.
5. Practice the Top Questions and Answers consistently asked.
Finally, you must practice the top questions that have been consistently asked as part of the Customer Service Representative interview at ATandT. Here is a list that you should be prepared for:
1. What is a typical sales call according to you?
2. What do you think some of the most important parts of selling are?
3. What would you do to improve your presentation to clients?
4. How do you close a sale?
5. How do you go about building a relationship with a customer?
6. This is a tough territory. The last two guys here didn't make it. How will you be different?
7. How would you sell when you currently have no list of customers to contact?
8. How did you build your clientele at your previous job? Who do you consider a client?
9. Sell me this pen.
10. Would you be comfortable reaching out to customers and selling to them?
12. How would you convince your customer to upgrade his or her service or product?
13. How would you overcome the objection that our products are too expensive?
14. Paper Company A sells 8x8 White Standard Copy for $9, Paper Company B sells the same product for $5. Why in the world would someone pay Paper Company a $9 for a product they could get for $5?
16. How would you sell in a tough economy?
17. What would you do if you had to deal with an upset customer?
19. What would you do if a customer was very upset and when they got to you, took all their frustration and anger out on you?
20. How would you handle and customer who cursed you out for a mistake you made?
21. If a customer wants a refund from a bill she didn't pay, what is your response?
22. How would you handle the following situation: You have a customer calling and telling you they were over charged their account and demands a refund?
23. How would you interact with people that are on a much lower economic level than yourself?
25. You have a customer looking for a small product that you are unfamiliar with and another customer comes up for help with a much larger and more expensive purchase. What do you do?
26. If a customer was to ask for my assistance in a department that was not my own, what would I do?
Hope this helps.
Till next time,
P.S. Our company Coursetake provides a complete course to help you ace your Customer Service Representative interview at ATandT.
We highly recommend you check it out.
ATandT Customer Service Representative Interview Preparation Online Course and Book : Coursetake
ATandT Customer Service Representative Interview Preparation Book : https://kourse-com.myshopify.com/cart/12382816960593:1?channel=buy_button